March 10, 2012

THE WORD

http://www.dw.de/dw/article/0,,2256639,00.html

I am reading the Book of John, and today I got another glimpse into the life of John, the Baptist.






1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it. 


 6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

REFLECTIONS:



I  am in awe of the greatness of our God and I am so grateful of the books comprising the Bible. It is not easy to read into the gospels of those He had chosen to chronicle His wonders and deeds, without the Holy Spirit's guidance. Therefore, one must read and meditate.


Reading back again the book of John, desirous of new insights into Who God is and What He has done for us, makes me more in awe of God.  How lovingly He has laid down everything for us because He first loved us.

The apostle John was called “the beloved.” 

He had a close mentoring with Jesus Christ himself. 

He was always at Jesus' side.  

His gospel places emphasis on the deity of Christ, he invites us to believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and due to His death and resurrection (which the Apostle John describes as His Glory), we might pass from death to life.

This is where I've gotten my salvation:  Because of God's grace.

John 3:16

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. “


My first word is:  Grace


Ephesians 2:8, "For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith, and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." (NIV)

Characteristics of Grace
Grace is a free will gift, not something that is coerced (Matt 10:8).
Grace always remains within the parameters of God’s law.
God’s grace always expresses love (John 3:16, Heb 2:9).
God’s Grace demonstrates His truth (John 1:17).
God’s grace encourages and empowers a true Christian to do righteous works of grace (2Cor 9:8).
God’s grace promotes abundant living (John 10:10).
Thanks and praise, whether given to God or man, is a form of grace (Heb 13:15).
Sometimes the blessings of grace are obvious, at other times they are extremely hard to comprehend.
Sometimes the blessings of grace are received immediately; at other times they are a long time in coming.
God’s grace establishes His righteous character in true Christians.
Gods and Christ’s grace provide for all aspects of salvation (Eph 2:8–10).
with thanks to:  http://www.servantsnews.com/sn0211/grace.htm 

I was picked up from the mire, clothed with His salvation because of His love, I wasn't even a bit worthy to receive it.  How could I not pass this grace on to others?

"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."(Eph 4:29).



 

9 comments:

  1. Lolita-
    The Book of John in the Bible is so moving and once you start reading it, putting it down for a pause is NOT easy. His words seem to just keep pulling at you.

    I think about John suffering in Prison and the manner in which he died. Horrible, but he had such Love for Jesus-it makes me think about the strength we all have within us to stand strong in our Faith.

    This is beautiful, and I pray you keep the writing going. HE will give you all the courage that is needed. God Bless you. Martha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your reflections on the Book of John!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, dear Martha and Diane. Last week was a busy week in the office. I have my journals but I needed time to write them here in my blog. If only I had internet connections at home, I could write them without distractions. And if I write in haste, I might spoil the insights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take your time, Lolita. We all understand your circumstances!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, so beautiful! Your love for The Word is evident, your insights are full of Truth.

    Reading your blog is my mini-retreat. Your words, Lolita, grace us with peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Diane. You are so special to me. You are my source of inspiration and our "circle of sharing" friends too like Martha and Betty.

    I hope Sis Betty has settled down good in her new place.

    I haven't gone to comment at Judi's yet. Need more time. So much of her pain is something we need to give up to our God yet she has this amazing humor..... so much of her writing reflects that. And we need the stillness of spirit to even make a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, Lolita, our Circle of Sharing is so special.

    Please keep Betty in prayer as I know firsthand how transitioning off the mission field back to American life can be difficult. Different powers and principalities in America than in Paupa New Guinea for them to deal with.

    Yes, and dear Judi...her and Martha are champions in my eyes! CHAMPIONS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your company. I am glad you are here. Your encouraging word is appreciated. It brings joy like a cool breeze on a hot day. GBU!